Wednesday, March 10, 2010

March is Music In Our Schools Month



The Mrs. America Organization has a strong and continuing commitment to MENC: The National Association of Music Education working everyday to advance music education by encouraging the study and making of music for all students!

In an effort to promote and support music education in our schools, each contestant raises funds and volunteers at various schools and music events in our community. I personally am very passionate about music. I am a vocalist and percussionist. I along with my husband and friends practice and perform as a band. I have also been the music director for our local vacation summer school for 10 years. We have an average of 1000 kids within our community who attend each year.

The MENC has dedicated March as MIOSM: Music In Our Schools Month. I will be visiting school music classes in Thurston County to share some words of inspiration to the students. My message is simple, to the let students know the benefits to them to be part of a music program and to encourage them to pursue more music classes throughout their education. The students will be filling out a card that says "What music means to me..." I will be using these cards to make a poster collage that will be displayed in their classroom for all to admire!

No comments:

Post a Comment