Sunday, May 16, 2010

Capital City Marathon, 1/2 Marathon & 5 Mile







Today I volunteered for the Capital City Marathon, 1/2 Marathon and 5 mile race. I had the pleasure of running the marathon twice and now it was my turn to help out. I have to say I was completely jealous of all the runners. I have been dealing with a knee injury and it is slowly getting better but I am not sure if I will be able to compete in long distance events anymore. It is an amazing accomplishment for these runners. It was great to get to be right there at the finish line cheering them on and handing out their commemerative coaster. Yes, a coaster they thought they would try something new this year instead of medals....it didn't go over very well! Next year I think the medals will be back. It was kind of awkward to hand someone a coaster after running so far!! It isn't about the prize though it's the satisfaction of knowing you made it!

I had many friends who ran in the race. I am pretty sure some of these friends called me crazy when I trained and ran it! I am so glad to see they are choosing to exercise and challenge themselves. Irene Schade Mrs. Olympia ran the 1/2 marathon with her daughter. We posed for a photo together, she said I was looking prettier than her right then but I told her I would rather be sweaty and ran the race!!

No comments:

Post a Comment